|MY MONKFISH CURRY|
1 tbsp. oil (vegetable is fine)
1 finely chopped onion (medium sized)
2 cm Fresh ginger grated
3 Cloves garlic crushed
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp medium chilli powder
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin (ground)
1/2 tsp coriander (ground)
3/4 tsp garam masala
1/2 tin chopped tomatoes
2 monk fish fillets (ask your fish monger to debone and cut into large chunks)
- Grab a heavy bottomed pan with a lid. Add your oil and warm it up
- Finely chop your onion and cook in a tablespoon of oil on medium heat for about 5 minutes, do not let it go brown. You want them nice and translucent.
- Add your garlic and ginger into the onions.
- Then add your spices and stir round for about 2 minutes letting all the aromas come out of the spices.
- Then add your tomatoes along with the salt and sugar.
- Cook (still on medium heat) for a further 3-5 minutes then add your chunks of monkfish and about 1/2 mug of water. Stir and put on the lid. you want to turn down the heat now so that it just simmers nicely.
- After about 1/2 hour to an hour, remove the lid and add 3/4 tsp garam masala. Leave the lid of to thicken the gravy like sauce and simmer for a further 1/2 hour.
- Once its thickened you can serve either with puri or roti.